Mystics tell us everything is connected. Quantum physics points to the same truth. The scientific theory of human values called “Spiral Dynamics” says that at the higher levels of awareness we come to the same belief. Chaos theory and systems theory are built around an assumption that everything is interrelated and looks at the interaction between these interrelated parts. Where ever you look, more and more people are coming to the conclusion that everything is connected.
Consider for a moment that every person, object, situation, thought… everything that is, all that you can sense in the world and all that is beyond your senses… is connected… stop and look around you… what are the implications of this awareness as you go about your day? What are the implications on how you interact with others? What are the implications on your specific political beliefs?
If you have come to the conclusion that everything is part of a One, then I ask you — what are you going to do with that knowledge? What are you doing?
I’m not here to tell you that you need to do anything specific because you have come to this realization. Although we may all be connected, we are still unique and individual expressions within that oneness. How we are called to express our awareness of our interrelationship to one another will vary from person to person.
Some of us may simply keep this awareness in the backs of our minds as we interact with others. We may simply bring compassion to all our relationships. Some of us may feel a call to be of service to assist those around us who are in need. Some of us may feel a need to be a force for positive change for the planet. The way in which we put our knowledge into motion can very in both our specific tactics and in our degree of scope. How are you using your awareness of our oneness?
I keep asking the question repeatedly here to get you to think about it… to really think about it. Let’s take it to even more specific situations…
If we are all connected and everything is one, then:
- How does that change your reaction to a homeless person on the street asking for money?
- How does that change your reaction to someone who cuts you off on the freeway?
- How does that change your reaction when someone wants you to pass along an e-mail blasting one person, one religion, one political party, or one country over another?
- How does that change your reaction to the health care legislation?
- How does that change your reaction to whether or not you support the United Nations?
- How does that change your reaction to your spouse when they do something that upsets you?
- How does that change your reaction to those with different religious beliefs from you?
- How does that change your reaction to those who have different political beliefs from you?
I think you get the picture… if we are all connected… if we are truly all connected and part of a oneness, what are you doing and what are you going to do with that knowledge?
Check out all of Mark Gilbert’s books—available at Amazon. Click here to visit his Author Page. This includes his recent one Our Spiritual Rights and Responsibilities. In this book, he offers what he suggests are the 5 basic rights we all possess by virtue of our being these spiritual beings on planet Earth — and our 2 responsibilities we all hold in relation to one another! Check it out!